*** Welcome to piglix ***

Alumni Hall (University of Notre Dame)

Alumni Hall
Residence Hall
Arms of Alumni.svg
Blazon: Vert two chevronels argent between three dog or
University University of Notre Dame
Campus quad South
Established 1931
Architect Maginnis & Walsh
Architectural style Collegiate Gothic
Colors Green and white          
Gender Male
Rector Fr. George Rozum, CSC
Undergraduates 234
Chapel St. Charles Borromeo
Mascot Dawgs
Interhall sports Baseball, basketball, football
Charities Martin Hall - Notre Dame College in Bangladesh
Major events Alumni/Dillon Rivalry Week, Wake Week
Website

Alumni Hall
Alumni Hall (University of Notre Dame) is located in Indiana
Alumni Hall (University of Notre Dame)
Location Notre Dame, Indiana
Coordinates 41°42′02″N 86°14′28″W / 41.7006°N 86.2412°W / 41.7006; -86.2412
Built 1931
Architect Maginnis and Walsh
Architectural style Collegiate Gothic
Part of University of Notre Dame: Main and South Quadrangles (#78000053)
Added to NRHP May 23, 1978

Alumni Hall is one of the 30 Residence Halls on the campus of the University of Notre Dame and one of the 16 male dorms. It is located on South Quad adjacent to "Main Circle", across from the law school building. Together with other historic structures of the university, it is on the National Register of Historic Places.


Alumni Hall was constructed in 1931 at the same time as rival Dillon Hall. At the time, it provided a border for the southern edge of campus. The hall was so named in honor of the University's loyal alumni and was intended to be a home for alumni returning to campus. Alumni was the first dorm not to be named after prominent Notre Dame figures and deceased presidents, and is the only dorm on campus not named for a person or family. Alumni was originally configured to hold 212 students. It was built in Collegiate Gothic style by architects Charles Maginnis and Timothy Walsh.

Alumni was the first residence hall on campus and one of the first buildings in the state of Indiana to have an electric elevator (not currently in commission). The hall's unique architecture includes gargoyles up top and stone carvings of everything from Madonna and Child (north side chapel entrance), saints (Sts. Thomas Aquinas and Bonaventure in the courtyard), dogs (Clashmore Mike, one of the original mascots of the football team), to Knute Rockne (east side). On the south side of the building, facing South Bend, is a carving of a college graduate known as Joe College who is looking towards leaving college for the real world. The hall's chapel is dedicated to St. Charles Borromeo, the patron saint of then-president Fr. Charles O'Donnell, CSC.

In the 1940s, when Navy trainees took over the residence, Alumni's residents squeezed in with one another, turning all singles into doubles. The space was so cramped that Dave Condon '49, later a sportswriter for the Chicago Tribune, wrote in Scholastic that "when someone entered by the front door, it necessitated someone else leaving by the rear egress."


...
Wikipedia

...