*** Welcome to piglix ***

Angela Park (amusement park)

Angela Park
Location Hazleton, Pennsylvania, United States
Coordinates 41°02′06″N 75°57′04″W / 41.035°N 75.951°W / 41.035; -75.951Coordinates: 41°02′06″N 75°57′04″W / 41.035°N 75.951°W / 41.035; -75.951
Owner Mirth Master Corp.
Opened 1957
Closed 1989

Angela Park was an amusement park located along PA Route 309 in Butler Township, seven miles north of Hazleton, Pennsylvania. The park operated from 1957 through 1988, and its proximity to the Pocono Mountains made it a popular summer attraction in Northeastern Pennsylvania for nearly four decades. It was owned and operated as part of the Barletta Family enterprises until 1985, when it was sold to Mirth Master Corp. of Chester County (PA), who operated the park until 1988. After the 1988 season, ownership filed for bankruptcy. In 1990, the rides and equipment were auctioned off. During the late 1990s, many of the buildings were razed. During the 2000s, the former park served as a training field for Lackawanna County policemen. Today, the property is owned by New Land Development of Lackawanna County and is undeveloped.

The idea of an amusement park at this location originated with Angeline Barletta (1896–1952), the matriarch of the Barletta Family who had immigrated to Hazleton, Pennsylvania from Italy in 1911. Along with her husband Anthony Barletta and their nine children the Barletta Family operated several successful businesses in the Hazleton Region. During the 1940s the family purchased several hundred acres of land along the Nescopeck Creek in the Butler Valley, part of which was developed into a grove for the family to spend weekend getaways. Angeline often spoke of how one day she envisioned part of the land being developed into an amusement park or recreational facility. After she died unexpectedly in 1952 her family was determined to make her dream a reality. Planning and construction took place during 1955 and 1956 and by the spring of 1957 Angela Park, named in honor of Angeline, was ready to open. The original owners were husband Anthony Barletta, sons Frank, Rocco, James, Joseph, Maurice, John and Fred, and their brother-in-law John DePierro. With the exception of their father Anthony who died in 1960, this partnership would remain intact until 1985. Angela Park was one of several businesses owned and operated by the Barletta family during this time. The seven brothers also have partnerships in A. Barletta and Sons, a heavy construction company that manufactured sand, gravel, asphalt and concrete, Barletta Heating Oil and Edgewood In The Pines Golf Course and Restaurant.

Angela Park opened on Mother's Day, May 12, 1957 to a large and enthusiastic crowd. The first year the park had only six rides, four which were designed exclusively for younger children: the Allan Hershel Tank Ride, Boat Ride, Carousel and Airplanes. The other two were the Miniature Train which was a model of the Lehigh Valley Black Diamond and a Roller Coaster. Several cinder block buildings were erected, each exterior painted a different color. The largest of these structures served as the main concession area and had six separate counter areas. The facility included the kitchen, the soft ice cream stand, main ticket window and main office. Directly across from the north end of this structure was the pink-colored sno-cone/cotton candy stand. Opposite the northeast side of the main structure was the green arcade building and directly east of the arcade was a similar-sized blue building which housed the bingo game. Along the north end of the park on the other side of the parking area was maintained a large grove area for picnics and outings. The picnic grove was adjacent to the Nescopeck Creek and was encircled by part of the route of the miniature train tracks. The first manager of the park was Joe Barletta, one of the members of the owner/partnership group.


...
Wikipedia

...