| Betschdorf | ||
|---|---|---|
|
Town hall
|
||
|
||
| Coordinates: 48°53′58″N 7°54′24″E / 48.8994°N 7.9067°ECoordinates: 48°53′58″N 7°54′24″E / 48.8994°N 7.9067°E | ||
| Country | France | |
| Region | Grand Est | |
| Department | Bas-Rhin | |
| Arrondissement | Haguenau-Wissembourg | |
| Canton | Wissembourg | |
| Government | ||
| • Mayor (2008–2014) | Adrien Weiss | |
| Area1 | 28.11 km2 (10.85 sq mi) | |
| Population (2009)2 | 4,072 | |
| • Density | 140/km2 (380/sq mi) | |
| Time zone | CET (UTC+1) | |
| • Summer (DST) | CEST (UTC+2) | |
| INSEE/Postal code | 67339 /67660 | |
| Elevation | 114–210 m (374–689 ft) | |
|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries. 2Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once. |
||
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.
Betschdorf is a commune in the Bas-Rhin department in Grand Est in northeastern France.
It is located about 45 km north-northeast of Strasbourg on the northern edge of the Forêt de Haguenau, the largest undivided forest in France. Betschdorf is a center of craft pottery manufacture, especially salt-glazed stoneware.
The vicinity has been inhabited since neolithic times. In 1912, stelae dedicated to the Roman gods Mars and Diana were discovered in the municipal forest.
A document dated 733 refers to a place called Batenondovilla near modern Betschdorf. The 7th-9th century Traditiones Wizenburgenses, chronicles of the Benedictine monastery of Wissembourg, mention a donation by Helphant of Batanesheim, grandson of Battacho.
Mention of twin villages begins in the early 14th century. A 1363 document is the first to use the names Oberbetschdorf and Niederbetschdorf (Upper and Lower Betschdorf). The two villages formed part of a district called the Hattgau, which became property of the count of Hanau in 1480. His successors, the counts of Hanau-Lichtenberg, retained property rights after the area fell under French control via the 1648 Treaty of Westphalia, and were inherited by the landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt in 1736. The area remained largely German-speaking and Lutheran under Bourbon rule.