Established | 1983 (Tollington Park in 1879) |
---|---|
Type | Foundation school |
Head | Z. Judge, J. Davey |
Deputy Head(s) | Z. Judge J. Davey |
Chair of Governors | Mark Chapman |
Location |
Tetherdown (South Wing), Creighton Avenue (North Wing) Muswell Hill London, England N10 1NS (South Wing) N10 1NE (North Wing) United Kingdom 51°35′34″N 0°09′03″W / 51.59285°N 0.15095°WCoordinates: 51°35′34″N 0°09′03″W / 51.59285°N 0.15095°W |
Local authority | Haringey |
DfE URN | 102156 Tables |
Ofsted | Reports |
Students | 1,750 |
Gender | Coeducational |
Ages | 11–18 |
Colours |
Blue Green |
Colleges | Alexandria, Ephesus, Colosseum, Rhodes, Olympia, Petra |
Website | www |
Fortismere School is a mixed, comprehensive, foundation secondary school situated just off the A504 in Muswell Hill in the London Borough of Haringey.
In 2016 it was ranked by The Sunday Times as the 12th best comprehensive school in the country. In its most recent Ofsted inspection, it was rated "Outstanding". and is the highest performing comprehensive school in the borough.
Tollington Park College, a private educational establishment for boys, was founded by William Brown in 1879 in Tollington Park, London N4. Rapid population growth around Muswell Hill created the need for a new school. Campbell Brown, the founder's son, established Tollington Boys School in Tetherdown, Muswell Hill in 1901. Brown then opened Tollington High School for girls in nearby Collingwood Avenue in 1910. In 1919 both schools were purchased by the local education authority. Aside from the senior management, the two schools operated independently.
After World War II, this became a state grammar school and the attached preparatory school became Tetherdown Primary School (this moved from the site in 1958 when it exchanged premises with the girls' grammar school). In 1958 the current building was erected and Tollington High School for Girls and Tollington Grammar School for Boys merged to become Tollington Grammar School (co-ed). In 1955, William Grimshaw Secondary Modern School (named after a local councillor) opened on an adjoining site in Creighton Avenue, taking the senior classes from Coldfall Council School. It offered extended classes from 1961.
With the introduction of comprehensive education in Haringey in 1967, Tollington Grammar School and William Grimshaw Secondary Modern School were merged to form Creighton School on Creighton Avenue. Charles Loades, head of William Grimshaw since 1958, became head, remaining until his retirement in 1974.