| St Swithin’s Church, Holmesfield | |
|---|---|
|
St Swithin’s Church, Holmesfield (Photo by Alan Heardman)
|
|
| Coordinates: 53°17′44.35″N 1°31′14.2″W / 53.2956528°N 1.520611°W | |
| Location | Holmesfield |
| Country | England |
| Denomination | Church of England |
| History | |
| Dedication | St Swithin |
| Architecture | |
| Heritage designation | Grade II listed |
| Administration | |
| Parish | Dronfield with Holmesfield |
| Deanery | Chesterfield |
| Archdeaconry | Chesterfield |
| Diocese | Diocese of Derby |
St Swithin’s Church, Holmesfield is a Grade II listedparish church in the Church of England in Holmesfield, Derbyshire.
The church dates from 1727 with additions in 1826.
In 1890 the church underwent a restoration which comprised putting in new windows, cleaning, painting, varnishing the interior, and installing a new heating apparatus by Ellis Outram of Holmesfield.
The foundation stone was laid by Mrs W.A. Milner for the construction of the chancel on 11 April 1898. It cost £725 and it was opened by the Bishop of Southwell on 12 September 1898. At the same time a new oak pulpit was given in memory of Mrs. Roberts of Queen’s Tower, Sheffield, and a new font was provided by Mrs. George Greaves of Sheffield, and Mr and Mrs Goodliffe of Norton provided a chandelier for the chancel. Unfortunately, some of the work in the new chancel was defective and two months later the cross on the chancel was blown down in a heavy gale of wind.
The church is in a joint parish with
The church contained an organ by Brindley & Foster daing from the 1920s. A specification of the organ can be found on the National Pipe Organ Register. It has been replaced by an electronic organ.