*** Welcome to piglix ***

Tregwynt Mansion

Tregwynt Mansion
Tregwynt, north elevation - geograph.org.uk - 1428099.jpg
North elevation
Tregwynt Mansion is located in Pembrokeshire
Tregwynt Mansion
General information
Type Manor house
Location Granston, Pembrokeshire
Address Castlemorris, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire SA62 5UU
Country Wales
Coordinates 51°58′11″N 5°04′25″W / 51.969769°N 5.073552°W / 51.969769; -5.073552Coordinates: 51°58′11″N 5°04′25″W / 51.969769°N 5.073552°W / 51.969769; -5.073552
Technical details
Floor count 2
Designations Graded II*
Known for Tregwynt Hoard

Tregwynt Mansion is a manor house in the parish of Granston in Pembrokeshire, Wales. The Tregwynt Hoard was found during renovations in 1996.

Tregwynt means "place of the winds". The building has an exposed position on the coast above Abermawr. Tregynt is one of the oldest house sites in the north of Pembrokeshire, with records dating to the 14th century. For six centuries it was owned by the Harries family. The 1844 Topographical Dictionary of Wales says of Granston, the parish that contains Tregwynt, "It is intersected by the turnpike-road leading from Fishguard to St. David's, and is watered by a small stream, which, after flowing through it, falls into the sea near Aberbâch. ... The surrounding scenery is not distinguished by any peculiarity of feature, though from the higher grounds some good views are obtained over the [St. George's] Channel and the adjacent country."

The present Grade II*-listed manor house dates from the 18th century. The building is a plain two-story house with an L-plan, faced with yellow ochre roughcast. The roofs are slate. There is a single-story farm wing attached to the west end. The six-window east entrance front with narrow sashes dates to the earlier part of the 18th century. The rear range, where an earlier stair-tower had stood, dates from the late 18th century or early 19th century. The owners decided to add a ballroom to the house in 1792. The large, plain hipped ballroom has five long windows above a low basement.

In the interior, the front range has low rooms with an oak roof. The rear has a pine roof. There are fluted arches with keystones on both floors, which originally led to the rear stair. The present stair hall to the rear was built in the early 19th century.

An early mention of the Tregwynt estate is that of the 14th century marriage of Sir William Horton of Tregwynt to the heiress to Candleston Castle. From medieval times the estate was the property of the Harries family. James Harries, second son of John Harries of Tregwynt, married the daughter and heiress of Eynon Griffith of Trewissilt in 1640. He was the ancestor of the Heathfield branch of the family, headed in 1894 by George James Harries, resident at Priskilly.

During the English Civil War (1642–51), around 1647 somebody buried a hoard of coins in a redware pot in an outbuilding of the mansion. The hoard was worth £51 9s, which at that time would have been a month's wages for fifty soldiers. Possibly it was buried by farmer Llewellin Harrie (or Harries) in 1648 when he heard of the arrival of Oliver Cromwell at the siege of Pembroke Castle. Harries, who died in 1663, was a large-scale farmer who had at least twelve children. He may have had royalist sympathies, but he avoided the fines levied on royalists after the war. It is not known why the treasure was not later recovered.


...
Wikipedia

...